...and his girl left behind. Justin Chambers is going to Antarctica as a chef, and leaving behind all that is normal, for a whole year. Together, but apart, we will document our experiences (well, he'll give me the info verbally and I will turn that in to a blog post!!) as we live in two quite different worlds for those 12 months.

Friday, September 17, 2010

This is becoming a habit!


Well what do you know... it's Friday night and I am home alone. That is, apart from Pickle and Mr Bear. And we all know what Friday night TV is like so I am thinking spaghetti bolognase and a movie.

I have been having a bit of fun with my cooking since being on my own and thanks to Jamie Oliver (who happens to be on on Friday nights!) I now understand the absolute joy of cooking chorizo. So far I have had it with a bean casserole (or beanatouille - thanks to Charles Scrase Dickens of London), and crumbled fetta. My friend Jenny and I loved it (she supplied the wine.) I added it to my pasta puttanesca - or whore's pasta which with the anchovy, capers, light chillis and olives made every mouthful pack a punch. The last I did just a couple of nights ago and that was exactly to a Jamie recipe - his world's best chorizo and tomato salad which I had with fetta and toasted turkish bread. I'm not sure why it is but I feel much more confident in the kitchen when it is only me I am cooking for. I don't make anything too fancy or technical... just whatever I feel like when I feel like it. I guess that is the big difference... not worrying about anyone else and what they feel like!

It has been a busy week and I am excited about the weekend. I am going to Ha-Ra the house (sounds rather desperate doesn't it but I cannot wait until I can stand back and see everything gorgeously clean again!) and play about with some ebay stuff. I have spent some time sewing again this week. Jo Chambers Designs has been experiencing a bit of a hiatus over the past couple of months with all that has been going on but I am excited about developing a schedule that will include my wheat packs, the cleaning and the admin for Ha-Ra. Bring it on!

You can check out my website... http://www.jochambers.com.au/.

Justin has had a busy week too... see, now I was getting to it. This is all about him too after all! He had 2.5 days doing boating and was out on the water in IRB's in very cold Hobart weather - true to form. He spent a day doing theory in Hydroponics which he found very interesting and although he would like to be able to contribute more to the crop once down there, it is in a sterile environment that he is unable to easily transfer to from the kitchen. He must either go in to the area before starting in the mornings or shower before he enters the area. From memory, today he was doing quad bike training. Not sure what that entails but I know I will find out once we have our evening chat tonight.
In case you are wondering... yes, it is lonely at times when you are used to another person being around all the time but I do enjoy my own company and am keeping very busy with all manner of things. Walking really helps to keep the emotions in check too. My friends and neighbours are all being so lovely and for that I am extremely thankful.

Have a great weekend all, I know I will be trying my best to.

No comments:

Post a Comment