...and his girl left behind. Justin Chambers is going to Antarctica as a chef, and leaving behind all that is normal, for a whole year. Together, but apart, we will document our experiences (well, he'll give me the info verbally and I will turn that in to a blog post!!) as we live in two quite different worlds for those 12 months.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

And back home in the garden

Flat leaf parsley and courgette
We (Mr B and me) woke to a gorgeous day today, after getting up to rain the past two days, and got out for a good walk.  Hung out some washing, watered my courgette, tried unravelling a hose... those things just frustrate me.. came inside to do a couple of things and now it is overcast and looking like it might just rain!  The garden has been benefiting hugely from the rain and the heat and I am proud to post some photos before I do some harvesting today - although I have already removed the 21cm rather phallic looking courgette and now have to google why the leaves are going mouldy.  Hmmm.




I am also growing basil... right near the (black russian) tomatoes as all good advice would have us do.  It is looking great so far but I only seem to have so much luck with basil.  The styrofoam tubs are working a dream though!




This is the garden bed that Brian put together for me and which contains carrots, lettuce, radishes, bok choy, silverbeet and beetroot.  In the tubs behind there are also runner beans, rhubarb (I am ever hopeful) and more bok choy.




Down along the back fence, my passionfruit is going great guns although I am wondering if it could benefit from some kind of trellicing along the fence to encourage growth the height of the fence.  The lime tree is my pride and joy although what you can't see here are the lemon and tangelo trees that I am having real difficulty with.  I just don't know what they need.  I think I will have to take some leaves to a garden centre and see what I can find out.

If you have any advice or anything to add, please do so in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment