...and his girl left behind. Justin Chambers is going to Antarctica as a chef, and leaving behind all that is normal, for a whole year. Together, but apart, we will document our experiences (well, he'll give me the info verbally and I will turn that in to a blog post!!) as we live in two quite different worlds for those 12 months.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday and nothing but rain

I wasn't sure if he had heard already in their short news reports so I sent an email to Justin informing him of World Champion Surfer, Andy Iron's very unfortunate death. He was as shocked as the rest of us, understandably, and hoped that when Andy died he felt as loved as he does. Needless to say, I started my day all choked up.

Andy Irons
POSITION:  60° 41' S, 100° 7' E

Distance in last 24 hours:  267.9 nm

Air temperature:  -2 deg c

Sea temperature:  -1.2 deg c

Speed:  12 knots

Sea conditions:  NW’ly combined sea / swell 2 m 

Whilst the clouds haven't parted all day to show even a snippet of blue sky, things just keep getting colder at sea.But cold aside, a fun day was had by all in celebration of the Melbourne Cup.  More money was raised for Camp Quality and they even got the all clear to venture out on to the open decks after being kept below deck for over a day.  There was even a celebration lunch including fresh asparagus soup, chicken kebabs and calamari stir fry.  All good on board the Aurora Australis!

Here, I made smoked fish pie with crab and prawns - and it was gooooood.  Apart from what I ate, Martin, the Swiss German student, consumed the rest.  It looks like I have to think of something else for tomorrow night.  I could have sworn it would be enough for two nights but Martin is taking surfing lessons at the moment and comes home very hungry at the end of each day.  Now he has his head well and truly down in his English language homework.

Me... I think, after a tiring day, it is time to hit the sack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment